Inspiration for my Book "The Color Blue"
The inspiration for my book, "The Color Blue," was this headstone. It became a part of my life a few years ago when I read the inscription
"I HAVE SUFFERED" under the name of a little girl who had been dead for 132 years.
The following is a short peek into my book. "The Color Blue. A Haunting Historical Mystery"
My morning walks took me through a graveyard in Elkader, Iowa. I loved the tall pines that stood along the perimeter; they seemed to guard the small town's dead. Keeping their secrets safe, but remembering them all the same. I wondered if I could hear them, what they would tell me.
Especially about the headstone with "I HAVE SUFFERED." inscribed under her name, marking the girl's death now for 132 years. Hauntingly sad and broken.
I have no way of knowing if this child asked for those words or if a relative chose them, but I cannot help wondering if she liked the color blue? Did she ever dance or sing? Could her brother, if she had one, make her laugh? Was her lap ever filled with books, Did her ears find contentment in a kitten's purr, or had her face ever known the joy of a puppy's kiss?
Life is so full of suffering, too full of pain... and I am sorry for all of it; but I just bet there was more to know about her, and I hope some of it brought her joy.
I am a writer.
I promised to give her a story. One from my heart and onto the page. To the best of my knowledge; it is fiction, but I believe Emma would approve.
Creating the characters and planning the plots makes writing so much fun.
I hope you all will love reading it as much as I love writing it!
"The Color Blue" is now available on Amazon.




Comments
Post a Comment