My Favorite Book

My Favorite Book

I do not know how many times I have read "To Kill a Mockingbird." by Harper Lee.
I don't even know how many times I've watched the movie.




So I can not say how many times I have loved being pulled into the summer that had begun so long ago. I loved the intrigue of wondering who Boo was; it filled me with anticipation.

I do know that every time I read it or watched it; I hoped I would stand in the face of prejudice like Aticus Finch did and be as wise as Scout.

I can't count how many times the spooky scene where Scout is walking through the woods in her Ham costume kept me at the edge of my seat.

How many times have I watched or read about Boo being found behind the door hiding after he carried Jem home to safety? His caring of Jem and Scout has moved me to tears every time.

My favorite scene in the movie is on the balcony of the courtroom. As Atticus leaves the room after losing the case, Reverend Sykes says to Scout, "Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father is passing."

In this world, doing what's right does not always look like a victory. However, I believe it sows seeds, causes change, and brings honor.

So, standing up and showing respect may seem quiet, and not enough, but understand this: there is power in it!


I know I will read the book again... and I will love it again, for all the same reasons.

Comments

Popular Posts